Frederick R McDonald is an international, award-winning artist - a painter, poet and photographer - and a member of the Fort McKay First Nation. Fred was born in Fort McMurray and raised in the bush along the Athabasca River, brought up in the traditional hunting and trapping lifestyle of his parents.
Although he has travelled far and wide, Fred’s heart is still with his community and he continues to be an active member of the Fort McKay band. He keeps himself grounded through his family; his children and his grandchildren are his inspiration for everything he does and they are ultimately his greatest creation.
In addition to his mastery of painting, Fred is an accomplished intellectual, with multiple degrees and awards to his name.
- Bachelor's of Fine Art, University of Calgary
- The Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund, 2001 Edmonton, Alberta
- Regional Aboriginal Recognition Award, Wood Buffalo
- Global Public Voices Fellow, Cornell University
- Masters of Fine Art, University of Calgary